Red sky at morning, sailors take warning! Yesterday’s forecast light southeast winds and 1-2 foot seas had many boats staging to head for the Bahamas. Besides red skies, dawn this morning saw our boat rolling at the dock and the wind at the Sand Key Light (Key West) NOAA buoy 20-24 from 190 degrees (SSW).
I wonder what those boats staged at Rodriguez Key (a popular staging point to head to Bimini) did this morning … if you’re staged to go, do you move on to Dinner Key or other alternate anchorages? Or go? Probably sitting at Rodriguez Key isn’t an option unless you’re really shallow draft because there’s no protection from southerly winds and waves. I know the boats wanting to leave from this marina are still rocking and rolling on the fuel dock, open to south winds and waves.
Ugh, I hate weather. Yesterday at this time, this was a great weather window. Now it’s windy, wavy, nasty and evening raining!
So if you’re staged for the Bahamas, what did you decide? Please leave a comment and share!